The Student Training and Employment Program (STEP) at Bosma Enterprises gives high school students who are blind or visually impaired an opportunity to develop valuable skills and learn the fundamentals of finding and keeping a job.
Bosma Enterprises, in partnership with the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, offers a well-balanced schedule of classroom learning, work experience and fun recreational activities.
For more information on STEP download this flier.
For more information, Melanie Wells email@example.com or call 888.567.3422.
High school students who are blind or visually impaired and:
- Are Indiana residents
- Age 16-21
- Exhibit independent, age-appropriate self-help, daily living and social interaction skills
- Commit to participate in one complete session
- Priority is given to students in their junior or senior year
There may be a minimal cost to the students or family for some recreational activities
Areas of Instruction
- Identify career paths, job goals and understand employer expectations.
- Develop a portfolio for future career advancement and growth.
Assess personal employment strengths and overcoming job challenges
- Design and implement strategies to perform work tasks effectively.
Practical job search skills
- How to complete job applications, write a resume and participate in mock interviews.
Students are placed in summer jobs with the assistance of a job coach. The job coach accompanies students to the job site to facilitate training. Students are paid for hours worked.
Students are housed at the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Indianapolis. Lodging and most meals are provided by program sponsors.
Students help plan the on- and off-campus recreational activities that include opportunities to practice social skills. There may be a minimal cost to the student or family for some recreational activities.
All applications need to be submitted by March 20, 2015.
Interested in applying for STEP? Click here to apply online.
The staff application can be found here.